Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:18 AM
BOSTON—Monty Montoya has been named chief executive officer of TherOptix
, a pre-clinical biopharma company focused on delivering clinically impactful therapeutics via a drug-eluding contact lens platform.
Friday, July 23, 2021 8:30 AM
NEW YORK—Mount Sinai
researchers have uncovered a potential pathway for treatment that can prevent blindness. Gene therapy in mouse models showed promise in preventing vision loss or blindness from serious retinal injury including optic nerve damage, and from retinal disease including diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma, Mount Sinai researchers report. Their study, published in the July 22 online publication of Cell
, could transform treatment for those at risk of major vision loss from retinal degenerative diseases, which currently have no cure.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021 12:27 AM
held the 10th annual Prevent Blindness Focus on Eye Health National Summit
as a virtual event on July 14 and 15, 2021. This year’s Summit included a variety of presentations and discussions related to the theme, "Our Changing Vision” with more than 1,000 registered attendees. In addition to a wide variety of presentations and moderated discussions, the Summit provided attendees with the opportunity to visit virtual booths of event sponsors, as well as chat and network with fellow attendees and presenters.
Monday, July 19, 2021 12:21 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn.—Atlanta’s Marietta Eye Clinic
(MEC) has agreed to a new partnership deal with Covenant Physician Partners
(Covenant), a Nashville-based portfolio company of KKR
. MEC is a vertically integrated, multi-specialty eyecare platform providing comprehensive vision care services to patients in the Atlanta metro market, according to a recent announcement. The company has an expansive provider base, consisting of 32 ophthalmologists and optometrists, practicing out of 10 clinical locations and a surgery center. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Wednesday, July 14, 2021 12:15 AM
, a clinical stage ophthalmology company, announced the appointments of Richard Lindstrom, MD, and Sheri Rowen, MD, to its scientific advisory board. “True visionaries, Dick and Sheri are renowned for the advancements and contributions they have made to the field of vision. We are thrilled they are joining our Scientific Advisory Board at this pivotal time of growth at OcuTerra,” said Kerrie Brady, chief executive officer of OcuTerra. “The breadth of their expertise as ophthalmologists and commitment to innovation aligns with our mission to change the standard of care for the treatment of diabetic eye disease.”
Thursday, July 8, 2021 12:21 AM
LONDON—Johnson & Johnson Vision
announced study results revealing that only 21 percent of people diagnosed with cataracts (or who have cataract symptoms) are very likely to have surgery, meaning that the remaining majority (79 percent) are putting their eyesight at risk.
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 12:18 AM
SARASOTA, Fla.—US Eye
, a physician-led eyecare network of practices, has expanded its footprint to include 32 clinics and three surgery centers across Florida and South Carolina, according to a recent announcement.
Thursday, July 1, 2021 12:21 AM
SEATTLE, BOSTON and TOKYO—Edward Holland, MD, has been named chief medical advisor of Aurion Biotech
, whose mission is to cure blindness by developing a differentiated platform of advanced therapies to treat ocular diseases.
Friday, June 25, 2021 8:30 AM
Researchers in Switzerland have developed automated OCT analysis tools based on artificial intelligence, which can assist eye doctors in the assessment of a whole patient OCT-set in just a few seconds. Together with RetinAI, a startup specialized in AI-based eyecare technologies, they now have conducted a retrospective study of patients to assess how well AI can predict demand for anti-VEGF treatment for Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) from the start. With the ageing population, cases of AMD, Retinal Vein Occlusion (RVO) and Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) are globally on the rise, making it hard for specialized eye clinics to keep up with the growing demand for regular treatments.
Monday, June 21, 2021 12:24 AM
LAS VEGAS and ST. GEORGE, Utah—Comprehensive EyeCare Partners (CompEye), a large vision care practice management services organization, announced that it has formed a strategic partnership with Zion Eye Institute
, a leading ophthalmic practice in Southern Utah.